Bioinformatics: EMBL-EBI - An Introduction to Sequence Searching with EMBL-EBI New
An introduction on how to search EBI databases using sequence search tools. The workshop will introduce tools such as BLAST, FASTA and PSI-BLAST; explain how they function and the ways to make effective use of them to locate different types of biological data and information. Further information is available here.
This session is one of a series of short introductions to EBI Services, run together, but bookable separately (see Related Courses section below).
- Our courses are open to all who might benefit
- Booking priority is given to people from Cambridge University and Collaborating Institutes
- Individual Course fees are required only from External participants not from Collaborating Institutes
The workshop is aimed at PhD, post-doctoral researchers and principle investigators working in wet-lab biology. Participants who are looking for a basic introduction to the searching the EBI for nucleotide or protein sequences and want to know more about accessing these biological data.
- Basic computing skills
- Graduate level in Life Sciences
Number of sessions: 1
|1||Tue 28 Jan 2014 13:30 - 17:00||13:30 - 17:00||Department of Genetics, Room G12||map||Andrew Cowley|
After this course you should be able to...
- Understand the basics of sequence similarity searching and sequence homology
- Be able to find biological sequences from across the whole of EMBL-EBI
- Use different sequence similarity searching tools available at EMBL-EBI and understand which ones are appropriate for different applications
- To provide a practical introduction to the sequence searching at the EBI
Presentations, demonstrations and practicals
A number of times per year
- Bioinformatics: EMBL-EBI - Introduction to EBI Resources
- Bioinformatics: EMBL-EBI - Archives for Next Generation Sequence Data with the EBI
- Bioinformatics: EMBL-EBI - Transcriptomics Data and Tools
- Bioinformatics: EMBL-EBI - Protein Databases and Tools
- Bioinformatics: Mass Spectrometry Proteomics at the EBI
- Bioinformatics: Molecular Interaction Databases, Reactions and Pathways at the EMBL-EBI
- Bioinformatics: EMBL-EBI - Metabolomics Databases and Tools
- Bioinformatics: EMBL-EBI - Bringing Structure to Biology - Protein Structures and Tools
Booking / availability